06 November 2009

Moment of Silence

     From the time I left the house yesterday, until the time I came home in the evening, I only had a chance to stop in for ten minutes. The day was filled with various co-op classes and the weekly library visit with a grocery store stop and medical appointment thrown in.  

Before I left for the day, I watched Fox and Friends who were doing their morning news show live from the deck of the USS New York. 
This brand new Navy ship was constructed with over 7 tons of steel from the ruins of the Trade Center Towers in New York. 

     
It was stirring to watch the footage of the Marines and Sailors on board the vessel raising the colors just as they do every morning 
and to hear the stories of how the ship was
 made in New Orleans, Louisiana. 

I lived in northwest Louisiana for twelve years and remember seeing updates on the ship's progress from time to time.  
Hurricane Katrina caused obvious delays but the workers came back to finish the ship. 
It is a working ship and will carry Marines to fight terrorists. 
The Towers will have gone full circle. 
 They will be fighting back.

     On the drive to the last appointment of the evening, I heard the devastating news of the shooting at Ft. Hood in Texas. 

As an Army mom, my heart was stricken. 

Since details were very few, all I could do was speculate on the cause.  
My evening ended with few details to answer all of the questions in my mind. 
My heart was grieved for the families involved. My heart which was earlier stirred by patriotism was now subdued.

     Today, I watched as the military officials sorted out the facts for us. 
The shooter was not dead.
 He is on life support. 
He was a psychiatrist previously working with hurting soldiers at Walter Reed Medical Center. He was recently transferred to this new post. 
He had never been deployed and did not want to be deployed now. 
Other stories said he was giving away possessions. In the midst of hearing these disturbing bits of news, other stories were told.

     It was graduation at the Army Post.  
Medic Officers ran to offer assistance still dressed in caps and gowns when they heard the gunshots. A Private loaded wounded soldiers into his pick-up truck and took them to the emergency room. 

Others provided first-aid even though they were wounded themselves. 
My heart began to fill with the unmistakable sense of patriotism. 
Of being proud to be a citizen of a country where men and women daily make willing sacrifices in service to their country and to their fellow man.

     I witnessed a Moment of Silence for the fallen and their families.
 I saw the flag at half-mast. 
It was a striking contrast to the raising of the flag on the USS New York yesterday. 
In the midst of each of our opinions as to how our country should address the War on Terror, 
must be 
gratitude for the members of our Armed Forces, prayers for them and for their families, 
and thankfulness to God that 
He is ultimately in control of every aspect in our lives and in the life of our great nation.


photos: American flag at Ft. Campbell, KY (c) debbie richardson

3 comments:

  1. The nation needs to have several moments of prayer for our troops. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. We can never pray too much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart remains solemn and prayerful for these families who have sacrificed so much.

    Yes, the two events were very contrasting and it brings me hope that God will bring something good out of the tragedy at Fort Hood as He has from the tragic loss of life that occurred at the Twin Towers.

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete