21 April 2010

Walking the Path ~ 50 Years and Counting......


 It was the dawn of a new decade. 
One that would bring things into existence that were unheard of at the time. 

A decade of unrest, drugs, free love, rock music, riots, turning patriotism into a four-letter word and throwing God out of the public schools. 

But in one small town, the simple things were still the big things - the important things. 
God, family, hard work.



Fifty years ago today, a young happy mother brought a strapping baby boy into the world.


 And into this family that still valued the things that made this country great, came a blue eyed, baldheaded bundle that would one day change the path of my life forever and impact countless others as well.


This young family added two more blue-eyed sons, but their happiness was overshadowed on a November day, when the young happy mother
 of three very rambunctious boys 
suddenly went home to be with the Lord. 

She was twenty-eight years old. 

She left behind a husband, and three children between the ages of four and eight years.


Because of the people in this child's family......both grandparents, great- grandparents, Aunts and Uncles....the oldest son did not grow up with a bitter root in his heart.

 He considered the fact that he was influenced and taught by his grandparents and other family members to be blessings. 
They are all a close family. 
Later this family included a younger sister and the entire brood on both sides just swept them all in together.


That is how I found it to be when 
I finally got that long-haired, blue-eyed college student to notice me.
 He claims to have noticed me years before but had to wait until I grew up. 
But this little essay is not about me. 

From what some considered to be a rough start at such a young age, has grown a man who takes the bad with the good, 
all the while realizing that God is in control and has a bigger plan. 

Forgiveness is better than grudges. 

"Not giving up" is the mantra.

 Dreaming enormous dreams is the norm. 

No one is perfect. 
Not me. 
Not him.

....but since it is his birthday and this is written for publication, 
I will ignore the imperfections. 
I would want the same done for me!



In the thirty years I have known him, he has grown in his love for his Savior. 
He is "on mission" wherever he goes. 
He wants to do right and not make mistakes. When the mistakes are realized, he makes the effort to change. 

He strives for excellence in his work. 
His greatest desire is to see his children walking in the Truth. 

He is spontaneous in contrast to my "likes to play it safe". He is the goofy, annoying boy to my "stuck in a rut" boring self. 

He tries to make time to do things with the kids even if that means being very jet-lagged in the process. 
He will spend his own money to help a friend or give what I consider to be "above and beyond the call of duty".

I think that this day may be marred with the attitude we are "supposed" to have in our middle decades. 
At least in the Western Civilized World, we are to mourn our youth and be sad about the future "declining" years. 
We are offered potions and surgeries and other magical things to "keep us youthful" as if aging were a bad thing.
 It is harder to run a foot race against an eleven year old at age 50 than it was at age 30, to be sure. But the wisdom that is available to share with a child at age 50.....
would anyone want to trade that?

The Word of God gives us a better  perspective.

Job 12:12 NIV says, "Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?"

Moses said in Psalm 90:10NIV, "The length of our days is seventy years- or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away."

Psalm 16:11NIV "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

Psalm 39: 4-5 NIV  "Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life.  You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath."

1 Corinthians 15: 52-53NIV "For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.  For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality."

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV



Happy Birthday!











3 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your husband on his 50th birthday! Isn't it amazing that even though his mom was taken at such a young age that God already had things under control and brought about such a compassionate man for you! Maybe I should say...GOD IS AMAZING!

    Thank you for stopping by to visit with me today. I so appreciated your comment that you left. I've been looking around your blog and doing some reading. I see that you have a special needs child. Does she have Down Syndrome? I am so thankful to have this post...such an open and honest post of what is going on inside of you. Do you mind if I add you to my personal prayer list? I understand how much we are encouraged when we hear from Him...and the small ways seem to encourage me the most.

    Bless you my new friend! I will be following you and adding you to my blog list that others might also be encouraged by what the Lord is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. We do not have a child with Down Syndrome. The only official diagnosis we have is Developmental Delay. I am honored that you consider me for your prayer list. The prayers of the righteous availeth much!

    ReplyDelete